As we take measures to contain the spread of COVID-19, our normal food-related practices may be affected. Healthy individuals, as well as those with a weak immune system, are being requested to stay at home.
It is crucial for our health to be well nourished, particularly in times when the immune system might need to fight back. Limited access to fresh foods may compromise opportunities to continue eating a healthy and varied diet. This can also lead to an increased consumption of packaged food which may be highly processed, and tend to be high in fats, sugars and salt. Nonetheless, even with few and limited ingredients, one can continue eating a diet that supports good health. Follow our tips to keep a balanced and healthy diet during these troubling times.
Food & Nutrition Tips During Quarantine:
1. Prepare home-cooked meals. Many healthy and delicious recipes are available online so make the most of those and experiment with ingredients that are easily accessible at this time.
2. Follow safe food handling practices in your own kitchen. Wash your hands as required, and keep your utensils clean. Use safe water, and cook your food thoroughly.
3. Limit your salt intake. Many frozen or packaged foods have high levels of salt, so avoid eating those as much as possible me. WHO recommends to consume less than 5g of salt per fat. Hence one must consume food that has less salt or no added salt.
4. Limit your sugar intake. When you’re at home people find comfort in baking, but be mindful of your sugar consumption. If you have a sweet craving, fresh fruit is a really good option rather than a freshly made dessert.
5. Stay hydrated. Good hydration is crucial so drink lots of water, limit any strong coffee or tea as well as any caffeinated soft drinks and energy drinks and replace them with a glass of water.